Friday, August 05, 2016

Religion Will Get You Into Trouble

Today's Twitter activity brought a request for more themed opera seasons, so here's the first that occurred to me.


  • Khovanshchina, Mussorgsky
  • Les Huguenots, Meyerbeer
  • La Juive, Halevy
  • St Francois d'Assisse, Messiaen
  • Le Martyr de St. Sebastien, Debussy (Yes, this is a little bit of a cheat, but oh, how I loved it at SFS during the centennial season)
  • Theodora, Handel
  • The Bassarids, Henze
  • Parsifal, Wagner
  • Moses and Aron, Schoenberg
  • Dialogs of the Carmelites, Poulenc
  • Palestrina, Pfitzner
  • Moses in Egypt, Rossini
  • Don Carlos, Verdi (and I mean that s at the end)
  • Susannah, Floyd
  • The Crucible, Ward
  • The Gospel According to the Other Mary, Adams
  • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene, Adamo
  • Giovanna d'Arco, Verdi
  • Jeanne d'Arc au Bucher, Honneger
  • The Maid of Orleans, Tchaikowsky


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thaïs
Suor Angelica
Theodora
The Bassarids

CruzSF said...

An impressive season, especially considering how quickly you whipped it together.

2 random thoughts: thanks for excluding Massenet. And 2) I saw Gospel of Mary M two or three times. I don't know if I have another performance in me so soon. I'd be more interested if I knew a revision was in the works.

CruzSF said...

Oops. I hadn't seen the other comment when I submitted mine.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Wasn't published yet!

Dr.B said...

This is an excellent list.

Dr.B said...

Saint Joan by Tchaikovsky.

Lisa Hirsch said...

That's up as The Maid of Orleans. I was not very impressed with the work when SFO did it a decade back for Zajick.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Rob, I'm putting up The Bassarids and Theodora but skipping the others. :)