Monday, September 26, 2016

SF Opera 2018 Ring Announcement

No time until later for a full discussion and comparison with my predictions, but here are some of the leading roles.

What was known
Conductor: Donald Runnicles
Wotan: Greer Grimsley
Brünnhilde: Evelyn Herlitzius (I was hoping against hope that this would change.)
Loge: Stefan Margita

What wasn't known
Alberich: Falk Struckmann (who was way off my radar for this and who is....a veteran, let's say)
Fricka: Jamie Barton! (one of my guesses)
Siegmund (& Froh): Brandon Jovanovich (one of my guesses)
Sieglinde: KARITA!!!! (I had no idea but I'm happy. Probably you will be too.)
Siegfried: Daniel Brenna
Hunding / Fafner: Raymond Aceto
Gunther (& Donner): Brian Mulligan (Casting that had NOT occurred to me)
Fasolt and Hagen: Andrea Silvestrelli
Mime: David Cangelosi

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mattila and Jovanovich are quite the luxurious pair. Too bad about Herlitzius. That won't be pretty,

Lisa Hirsch said...

Alas, agree.

Civic Center said...

Especially after Nina Stemme last time around. It's almost as strange as having Nadja Michael play Emilia Marty in the same production where Mattila gave a definitive performance six years ago.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Yes, exactly like that. I wonder what Runnicles had to do with this? He was a big booster of Stemme, I believe, but in the upcoming DOB Ring, which of course he is conducting, it's Herlitzius.

Dr.B said...

I heard Herlitzius in Elektra recently and it wasn't too bad. She's no Stemme.